Sydney Moving Guide
Relocating is exciting but obviously has a few challenges too. The good news is that in this age of technology, the multitude of user friendly online products has made this process easier than ever.
Sydney is a wonderfully multicultural city so you’ll never be far from a familiar accent and of course English is the primary spoken language. Many high street names will look familiar, the public transport is some of the world’s best and the food and social scenes are wide ranging and vibrant so it can seem like home from home in many ways.
All this said, being prepared and well informed is the best way to make sure things run smoothly so we’ve covered off some of the more common scenarios for you. Should you still have any unanswered questions please get in touch or check out BritishExpats.com
Finance & Insurance
Getting your finances and insurances set up are important first steps and will give you peace of mind.
- Bank accountYou will hear reference to the big 4 banks which include CBA, Westpac, NAB and ANZ
- Health InsuranceYou will need to get private healthcare for the majority of visas
- TFNA Tax File Number is similar to a National Insurance Number, to get paid without incurring the emergency tax rate get one as soon as possible
- Mobile/InternetYou will recognise Vodafone however the leading mobile providers are Telstra and Optus. For internet there is multitude of suppliers
The Eastern suburbs (includes Bondi) and Northern beaches (includes Manly) demand higher rent due to their proximity to the beach and city. There are many options away from the beach however that offer a great lifestyle.
- DomainIf you are looking for your own property to buy or rent long term
- FlatematefinderLooking for a house share, you can find furnished and unfurnished properties
- AirbnbChoose short term accommodation to allow you to explore before committing
- HotelsCombinedStay in the comfort of a hotel until you've got your bearings
- 1FormApply for a property rental can be competitive, use 1form to apply simply to multiple letting agencies
Relocating with children will present different challenges depending on their age. Here are some useful links to shed some light on what options you have.
To take in all that Sydney offers you will need access to a car, head north to the Hunter Valley wine region, west for the Blue Mountains. Sydney is surrounded by National parks so head out for a hike, bike ride or canoe!